According to the EPA, as much as 80 – 90 percent of office waste can be recycled. Many businesses are realizing that sustainability plans are not only the right thing to do, but can save significant money. One easy step of a sustainability plan is to reduce waste by recycling. By implementing a few easy steps, your office could be on its way to becoming greener [or] more Earth-friendly.
- Figure out what people are throwing away.
- Start Small – depending on what people are throwing away, decide what makes sense to start your recycling program. In an office it is typically paper or cans.
- Appoint an office program coordinator.
- Encourage people to recycle – place bins in a convenient location, make sure the recycling bin is easy to see.
- Communicate the program – train your staff, including then janitorial staff.
- Arrange for pickup.
If you or your business is interested in onsite recycling, please contact us at (248) 208-2270 to help you find a company that offers pick-up service. Another option is to take advantage of our recycling drop-off centers, which are free and open to the public.
You can also use the Michigan Business Recycling Directory to search for businesses and organizations throughout the state that collect and process recyclable material. Users can search the directory to find outlets for a variety of materials near them.