RRRASOC offers presentations to schools, community groups and other organizations located within one of its nine member communities of Farmington, Farmington Hills, Milford, Milford Township, Novi, South Lyon, Southfield, Walled Lake and Wixom. For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) Tours: Learn How Recycling Works!
The RRRASOC – Republic Services Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) in Southfield is an efficient, state-of-the-art and highly automated facility that converts valuable resources (the recyclables that you put into your bin or cart), into commodity materials that will be sold and reused to make new products.
Visitors to the MRF are able to see the sorting and separating process of recyclables from start to finish. It begins with the truck scale, where incoming trucks are weighed and then sent to the tipping floor where the materials are dumped and fed into the “single stream” sorting system. Through a series of machines, conveyors and manual separation, recyclables are sorted by material type. Once separated, the materials are compressed into bales and shipped out to be made back into new products.
Tours of the RRRASOC-Republic Services MRF in Southfield offer a first-hand lesson in recycling. Visitors will learn why recycling is important to our community and economy, as well as what happens to the recovered materials.
Due to the type of facility, the way in which tours are conducted, the content of information presented and for the safety of our visitors, tours are most appropriate for grade level 4 through adult.
Tours are provided Monday – Friday by appointment only and last approximately 1.5 hours.
For information, contact email@example.com
Things to know about touring the MRF:
- Visitors must be able to walk up and down a flight of stairs unassisted.
- Long pants and sturdy, closed-toed, closed-heel shoes are required.
- The following personal protective equipment is provided and required to be worn while inside our facility: safety vest, hard hat and safety glasses.
- All visitors will be required to sign a “Site Access Agreement, Waiver of Liability and Release”.
- The MRF is considered an industrial/manufacturing facility and may not be appropriate for people with medical conditions impacted by dust, noise or airborne allergens. Additionally, the MRF has magnets that may impact medical devices.