Facts and Figures
Benefits of Recycling:
- Recycling creates nine jobs for every ton of material recycled, while only one job is created if that same ton is landfilled.
- Using recycled paper instead of virgin materials reduces air pollution by 74% and water pollution by 35%.
- Using recycled aluminum instead of virgin ore reduces air pollution by 95% and water pollution by 97%.
- Using recycled iron and steel cuts air pollution by 86%, water pollution by 76%, and mining wastes by 97%.
- For every ton of paper you recycle, you save 17 trees, 464 gallons of oil, 42 gallons of gasoline, and 7,000 of water.
- Recycling one glass bottle saves enough energy to light a 100 watt light bulb for four hours
- Recycling one tin can saves enough energy to run a television for three hours.